Sunday, July 5, 2009

Riding a Steel at 240 kmph

Road to Bangalore


11th December 2007, was the day when I did my personal best Speed Run on Chennai -Bangalore highway. Than was the day when I felt the rush of Adrenaline in my body or rather in my soul. I was regularly shuttling between Chennai and Bangalore because fo my business demands. and i always prefered driving rather than taking Flight or train. It served two purpose it was faster and I could quench my thirst for driving.

That tuesday morning was perfect day for driving with clear blue sky and newly done road. These were the green signal from God to put myself and my newly acquired BMW to put on our best show. I started in morning with my friend around 10 o clock. After fighting the city traffic for an hour we reached NH-5. We had brief stoppage their to fill our stomach and Fuel tank. I had drove on this road many times before both in day and night, in sun shine and heavy rain. this route was imprinted in my brain like carbon copy. After our hungry satified and machined completely fueled, we decided it time to go. I did a manual check for car, I took drivers position. Adjusted my seating position , aligned the steering column, whipped my shades, fastened the seat belts and pushed the start button. I pressed the accelerator in the hardest possible way, the engined responed with loud roar. tyres, they made couple of revolution before overpowering the inertia of the 2 ton metallic beast. Without using horn everyone gave us the way, because of respect or sheer fear. I made a sharp left turn and the we were on our way to Bangalore.

Fighting my way with the never ending convoy of Trucks, Buses, cars and other modes of transports I was constantly increasing my speed. Few minutes past i was doing 150 kmph and nearing my personal best of 170kmph (That was the upper cut off of my previous car). In another couple of second i was above my personal land mark. As speedometer kept reading higher and neared 200kmph mark. there was a sudden rush of chemicals in my different part of body. My palms got little sweaty, my eyes popped out for more focus. My ear got auto shut and i couldn't hear anything and jus like Arjuna my eyes were glued to divider line on the road. I had goosebumps all over my body, i was having butterflies in my stomach and i had some sensation in my body which i never felt before. And yes i should happen because i was cruzing at the speed of 240 kmph. which means i was sweeping 66.67 meters everysecond. There was no margin of error.

That day i realise what it means by speed. Why so many people love speed. 240kmph is jus the begining, looking for better figures now.

2 comments:

  1. aaaa... this part is very fast n thrilling.. unfortunately i wasnt wid him to feel the speed of 240 but was fortunate enough to see the video recorded on camera phone.. and beleve me - u need to have real courage to sit beside him no matter its highway or the city. once u have it - two simple steps to accomplish - buckle up n experience the bone freezing drive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect travel freak ... with good photography skills .. and love for food varities .. thats all it takes for a tour to be adventerous and exciting .. and u bet .. that mainu and mak are a perfect "travel-combo" ... if i may say that !!
    Best of luck .. dudes .. u 2 rock !!

    ReplyDelete