Friday, July 17, 2009

The Marvelous Malaysia - Sojourn

The colossal Petronas - The landmark of KL
KL the city never sleeps
Night life at KL
Aerial view of KL Airport
The KL Airport

A church at Penang
Bon Apetit

Night life
The Penang Bridge
Genting Skyways
Water theme park at Genting
Genting Experience

Malaysia – Truly Asia…This colorful advertisement had caught my attention so badly that I had to go to this country once. So there I’m standing in the immigration section of the Chennai International Airport, with the closest buddies (a group of eight), creating an image of the marvelous "Petronas Towers" in my mind. There we were ready to board our flight looking forward to the vacation which was finally happening after a lot of ordeals. This being my first international trip was already giving me kicks.
We were all set to go, departure 2 am, duration 4.5 hours over magnificent Indian Ocean. When I caught the sight of land with the dawn breaking across the horizon, there was a sudden rush of excitement. I could see the Kuala Lampur Airport from the sky boasting of its huge terminals. The landing was smooth so the warm welcome inside the airport, which was the biggest one I had seen ever, was equivalent to a big mall with connecting trains between the terminals. The only word that flashed across my mind was "WOW’…
The Kuala Lampur Experience was worth reminiscing, Hotel Pearl International is where we took refuge. The sight of colossal Patronas which lit up the skyline of KL was the most wondrous sight of my life. Our necks got sprained and camera strained in a bid to capture it all…The endless stretch of Night-Clubs, seductive ambience, loud music, the hard rock cafĂ©, the most opulent malls, the 24X7 departmental stores this is what constitutes the KL experience.
First destination, Penang Island that is located which is located on the northwest coast, connected to the mainland Peninsular Malaysia by the Penang Bridge. The silky smooth highways surrounded by a thick blanket of greenery, pin drop silence on the roads, not even a single sound of honking that was without a doubt the best drive of my life. There we were over the Penang Bridge, one of the longest in the world with an astounding 13.5 km length. Hotel Bayview gave us a warm welcome with some of the best sea-facing rooms. The stay at penang was a real fun, mostly because of the of happening night life, it seemed like the city never slept, you go out at 3:30 am, you’ll find all the night clubs open a whole bunch of street restaurants open, serving Malaysian as well as Indian food (surprisingly there is a considerable south Indian population). The "wine and dine" at the revolving restaurant on the roof of our hotel was in itself an experience to remember. We tried our hands at some of the weird (to me) food items – octopus, squids, and turtle eggs… The regular visit to the harbour, the PISA where we went almost evryday for swimming, the night-outs at "Slippery Sanoritas", eating street food @ 3am, are the moments that linger in my mind. The Tequila shots, the Long island ice Teas, a wide variety of cocktails, we were too generous with the Ringets (Malaysian currency equals Rs13 approx). One of the things that is must here is the "Malaysian Spa", the lavish spas with exotic natural oils, was so rejuvenating that I got back almost 3 years of my life.
Second destination, Genting Highlands cum Theme Park, the ride on the Genting skyway was so thrilling that I almost had my heart in my mouth…The speed of the gondola was astounding. Now was the time to face my biggest nightmare – The Rollercoaster. Those were the most thrilling 20 seconds of my life, I never regretted it until the pictures came out with our punctured faces. From there started the thrill-rides streak – the gravity fall, the flying coaster, the skydiving, we didn’t leave even a single one. Genting was without a doubt the most "Adrenaline pumping", "Blood pressure soaring", "Heart beat rocketing" experience to all of us. We still see those pictures and laugh…All in all Malaysia was the best trip of my life made better by the company of my best pals…

No comments:

Post a Comment